Lego Creator – Power Mech (31007): Perhaps its the nature of the other Creator series I’ve done, but I am actually a bit nonplussed about how in all the other of the series – there is often 1 build which uses all the pieces, and another 2 which are more subsets. Here however even the big mech build leaves behind more than a dozen or 2 pieces. On the other hand though I am actually a big fan of how the mech works and comes together.
Time to Knoll: 13 Minutes
Time to Build: 19 Minutes (Mech)
11.5 Minutes (Helicopter)
14.5 Minutes (Truck)
- Pieces: 223 and 28, 31, 45 Steps – Manual for Mech, Helicopter, Truck (64, 45, and 47 Pages)
- Price: (On-sale) $9.98 on Lego and $35.80 on Amazon
- Weight ~300 grams (I forgot to weigh before sending back, apologies) value is based on shipping.
- Combo Points: (9X18X3X3) = 1,458 points
- Volume (Based on Blob length/width/height): 32mm x 48mm x 166.4mm or 255.59 cm³
- Uniqueness: 2 out of 5 Stars
- Aesthetics: 1 out of 5 Stars
- Fun to Build: 2 out of 5 Stars
- Hoarding: 4 out of 5 Stars
To be fair I sort of see where the model was coming from – in short it’s trying to bank in on the Transformer appeal – the problem being that there are parts in all 3 types which are just not used in the other models. If you are looking for a real Transformer, check out this creation from Boyzwiththemosttoyz(about 1 minute in to see the transformation)
This is the sort of thing I wish Lego would do more of – they’ve proven very good at moveable parts, and I feel like their aversion is legal-based. However the above is only a single example of people making Lego transformers. I urge you to just take a look at MoCPages category page as there is just a bunch of great builds.
Remix: Well with all the nice green here my mind drifted of course to space. So at the need for wheels and limbs, and it was clear I was going to make a rover. Best of all I was able to use all the pieces in the model – and I only needed a common black circle axle – keeping well within my 5 rule.
Final Thoughts: I feel this is more (especially with the current sale) a step to get some nice green pieces, some good limbs and bending parts – and the weird and rare corner 2×2 plate. While I do like the mech, the other builds feel kinda more tacked on as compared to other Creator builds, and I wish Lego had just release the mech on it’s own.
Final Score: 2 out of 5 Stars